Skip to main content
  • Patients & Visitors /
  • Veteran services

Veteran Services

URGENT Notice: VA Health Care Special Enrollment!
Many veterans who were ineligible for VA Health Care, including ineligible because of income, length of service, and other reasons, have a rare opportunity to permanently enroll, until October 1, 2023.

Post-911 veterans and veterans who served in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Guam, American Samoa, the Johnston Atoll (or on a ship that called there) are most likely eligible to enroll during this short window created by the PACT Act.

Please see “Enroll in VA Health Care” in the menu below.

What would you like information on?

MultiCare Yakima Memorial Veteran Advocacy Program

At MultiCare Yakima Memorial, we honor the tremendous service that military veterans have provided our country, and we strive to deliver our veterans the best service we can in return. With the implementation of our veteran advocacy program, we have committed ourselves to identifying needs specific to our veteran population and continually improving to meet those needs.

Enroll in VA Healthcare

There are a few different ways to enroll in VA Healthcare.

  • You will need a copy of your DD-214 to enroll in VA Healthcare. The DD-214 is a certificate of discharge from military service. If you need a copy, see "Obtain your DD-214" below.
  • The best way to check your eligibility and enroll in VA Healthcare is to visit the VA eligibility website and follow the directions.
  • To contact the Walla Walla VA eligibility department by phone, call 509-525-5200 and then press the number for “Eligibility” (which is currently 4).

Apply for VA Disability Benefits

Knowing what disability to apply for based on your medical history, and how to apply in the most effective way can seem daunting. Fortunately, there’s help! That help is from “Veteran Service Officers” (VSO) who are government funded and free to the veteran. Our Yakima VSO services are listed under community resources.

PLEASE be aware that there are commercial businesses that charge very large fees to help fill out this same paperwork, and paying those fees is not necessary if you use a VSO or self-file.

If you’d like to self-file, without the expertise of a trained VSO, the VA has a “How to file a VA disability claim” website.

Obtain a DD-214

There are a number of places that DD-214 certificates are stored, and therefore a number of different ways to request a copy.

  • Post 9-11 Veterans: If your DD214 exists in the military personnel database, the best way to receive a DD-214 copy is to register for a account which might have your DD-214 under your personnel file. Having this account has the added benefit of allowing you to learn about your specific eligibility for benefits other than medical benefits.
  • National Archives: If your DD-214 was never scanned into the military personnel database, your next best option is to request a copy through the US National Archives, military service record request page.
  • If your DD-214 does not exist in either the military personnel database or the national archives, it’s possible that county or state records can prove your service. Please see the national archives "Other Methods to Obtain Military Service Records" page.


Congress passed the PACT act in August of 2022. It greatly expands the presumptive illnesses eligible for disability claims through the Veterans Benefits Administration.

  • More presumptive-exposure locations for Agent Orange and radiation for Vietnam-era veterans.
  • New presumptive conditions for burn pits and toxic exposures for Gulf War and post-9/11 veterans.
  • Expands eligibility for VA health care for veterans with toxic exposure from those eras.

If you’d like more information on the PACT act, the Veterans Affairs administration now has a dedicated page.
This page also has a link to file a claim, and a link to apply for VA health care.

Yakima Veteran Resources

  • Counseling
    • Yakima Veteran Center
      2119 W. Lincoln Ave.
      Yakima, WA 98902
      This is a counseling center, specifically for veterans who have served in combat.
    • Veteran Crisis Line
      There is a national hotline established for veterans who are in crisis. This can include anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, anger, processing difficult memories, thoughts of harming yourself or someone else, or other things. Reaching out is free, confidential and you can remain anonymous if you wish.
      Call 800-273-8255(press 1).
      Or visit net.
  • Disability Claim Assistance
  • Employment
    • WorkSource Yakima, Veteran Employment
      1205 Ahtanum Ridge Dr, Union Gap, WA 98903
      509-574-0105 (Option 4)

  • >General Services
  • Housing
    • Chuck Austin Place
      1630 S 16th Ave, Yakima WA
      Chuck Austin Place Website
    • OIC Homeless Vets Program
      1630 S. 16th Ave. Yakima, WA 98902
    • Blue Mountain Veteran Supportive Services
      8 E Cherry St, Walla Walla, WA 99362

  • Medical
  • Tribal Veterans Program
  • Veteran Service Organizations
    • American Legion: Post 36
      1120 N 34th Ave, Yakima, WA 98902
    • Veterans of Foreign Wars: Post 379
      N 34th Ave, Yakima, WA 98902