(509) 574-3383 Fax: (509)-225-2705
8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Mon - Thu, 8 a.m. - Noon, Fri
Preparing For Your Sleep Study
A list of specific instructions is typically provided to patients before their arrival at the testing facility, but you may want to consider asking additional questions before your test, such as:
- Does it matter if I take a nap the day before or the day of the study?
- Should I refrain from drinking coffee, tea or other caffeinated products or energy drinks? If so, for how many hours before my test?
- What can I eat before the study? In addition to caffeinated products, are there any other foods/beverages that I should avoid?
- Should I avoid stimulants, alcohol or sedatives? What about other prescription and non-prescription medications, dietary or herbal supplements? How long before the sleep study should these be discontinued?
- What should I bring to wear?
- May a family member or attendant stay with the patient during the study?
- On the day of the procedure, should I change my cosmetic, skin or hair care routine?
- Are personal comfort items, such as snacks, a pillow, slippers or robe, allowed?
- What time will I be able to leave?
- May I take a shower and dress for work the morning after the study?
- Will I be able to discuss the results of the study with my doctor before leaving the facility?
- Will my primary care physician or the sleep specialist take the lead in providing continuing care after the study?